I went to Hong Kong 10 months ago. Why am I writing about my favorite sweets now?
Because if I had waited until 2014, that would've been really pathetic, as opposed to waiting until now, when it's just...pretty pathetic.
More seriously (although my previous sentiment was serious), these sweets are among the most memorable I've eaten all year, and I want to share the goods before it's too late. Just keep in mind that this list is derived from one week of limited eating throughout Hong Kong and there are surely many more great desserts from places I didn't get to visit. If you have any suggestions, please share!
- Brown sugar steamed cake from Tim Ho Wan
- Steamed milk sudding from Yee Shun Milk Company
- Egg waffle from Lee Keung Kee North Point Waffles
- Shortbread egg custard tart and flaky egg custard Tart from Tai Cheong Bakery
- Danish Petit Pois Tim Dou from Po's Atelier
- Black sesame paste and steamed bean curd sheets with pearl barley and ginko nuts from Tsui Yuen
- Grass jelly with mango and sago from Sweetheart Dessert
- Portuguese egg tart and pineapple bun from Sai Kung Cafe and Bakery
- Crispy bun with condensed milk from Tsui Wah
- Douhua from the Well-Wishing Festival
- Pancake with spread from a Street Vendor in Mong Kok
All products linked here have been independently selected by our editors. We may earn a commission on purchases, as described in our affiliate policy.