I love making ice cream, but I also love being lazy, which is why I'm a firm believer in egg-free ice creams. Nothing beats the texture of eggy frozen custard, but recipes with eggs mean separating yolks, tempering custards, constant stirring, and religious heat management to keep proteins from coagulating—to say nothing of the eight to ten hour rest the base needs before it can be churned.
So if I can avoid using eggs and still get great ice cream, I'll definitely try. Here are 9 great ice cream recipes that are smooth and creamy without a lick of yolk. Hit them up in the slideshow above or jump straight to a recipe below.
- Mr. Softee-Style Vanilla Bean Soft Serve
- Roasted Plum, Ginger, and Honey Ice Cream
- White Wine Frozen Yogurt
- Ginger Beer, Rum, and Coconut Sorbet
- Better Than Snickers Ice Cream
- Vegan Banana Coconut Ice Cream
- Milk Tea Sherbet
- Peanut Butter Honey Ice Cream
- Bourbon Peach Brown Sugar Ice Cream
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Serious Eats. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.